The National Film and Video Foundation (NFVF) recently announced a partnership with Netflix – valued at R28 million – to produce six South African feature films. The agreement sees both partners contributing R14 million each in support of the production of local films, which will include exclusive debuts on Netflix.
Through this partnership, the NFVF hopes to create new opportunities for emerging filmmakers in the local film industry after many productions locally and internationally had to be halted/postponed due Covid-19 global lockdowns. The partnership will see 6 local films funded, categorised into 2 streams: 4 feature films with a budget of R4 million each and two feature films with a budget of R6 million each. The call for applications is now open.
Stream 1: Four Feature Films by emerging filmmakers capped at R4 000 000
Stream 2: Fictional Feature Films by established filmmakers capped at R6 000 000
Who can apply?
Emerging Filmmakers who are:
- a South African Citizen;
- a Permanent Resident;
- a Refugee; or
- a South African Company.
How do you apply?
To apply, you will need to ensure you visit https://nfvf.praxisgms.
What documentation will you need to apply?
- Brief project summary (maximum 5 pages) that includes Synopsis, Logline, Genre, Target market
- Fiction: Full Script (at final draft).
- CVs of the key creative: Producer, Director, Writer, DOP, Editor, Researcher, and Leading Cast.
- Letters of consent for a documentary application
- Letter of intent from director
- Producer’s notes.
- Director’s Treatment (maximum 20 pages).
- Detailed budget (Amounts to be spent at pre-production, production, and post-production) and Cash Flow.
- Production schedule
- A document explaining the stage at which the project has reached as of the date of this application and identify its needs in terms of production (max 600 words).
NB: Funding applications sent by email to any NFVF email addresses will NOT be accepted
What additional documentation is required to support your application?
- Tax Clearance
- Certified ID copy (6 months)
- Company registration / or SPV is applicable.
- BBBEE Certificate
- A list of the films/ audio-visual projects produced by company/ies.
- Links of the director’s previous work
- Chain of title documentation/ Contracts proving the acquisition of necessary rights (e.g., option contract, script writer’s contract, music etc.).
NB: The NFVF reserves the right to request further supporting documentation during the selection process.
Closing date: 7 May 2021