La Fabrique Cinéma has been created by the Institut français, in partnership with France Médias Monde, the SACEM (French society of authors, composers and publishers of music) and the International Organisation of La Francophonie to support new talented filmmakers from Southern and emerging countries.
This programme has been developed in close association with the Festival de Cannes and the Marché du Film. Ten projects in development (1st or 2nd feature film) are selected and invited to Cannes. The aim is to create concrete opportunities for these projects by providing access to different activities and personalized support through one-to-one and group meetings with key players in the film industry.
An international call for entries limited to 100 projects is launched every year. The applications are evaluated by a selection committee made up of scriptwriters, directors, editors, consultants, festival programmers and members of national and international cultural or cinematographic organisations. Apart from the selection made through the call for entries, the selection committee might choose projects through partnerships and/or among former participants of La Fabrique. These projects will be clearly identified.
Subject to health conditions and special instructions applicable on the operative dates of La Fabrique Cinéma de l’Institut français 2022, the program may take place either on-site in Cannes, online in a virtual way or with a hybrid framework that would combine on-site and online activities.
• The project film in development must be the director’s first or second feature-length (fiction, documentary or animation).
• The director and the producer must come from one of the eligible countries.
• The project must have a producer from one of the eligible countries who has produced a short- or feature-length film in the last five years.
• Each director or producer may only submit one film project.
• Due to the international environment of the Cannes Market, the director and the producer must speak English.
• Application must be complete to be considered.
The registration deadline will be announced once the 100th eligible application will be received or by November, 29, 2021, at the latest. The website will be updated regularly regarding the number of submissions received.