Round 5 Call for Entry 2020
Deadline: 10 December 2020
JETS stands for Junior Entertainment Talent Slate and unites 1st, 2nd and 3rd feature film filmmakers with South African, Canadian, German, Irish, Norwegian, British and US producers, sales agents, finance and distribution companies during a pitching session with the aim of Co-Production during the Berlin International Film Festival 2021 (venue to be announced at later date). 20 – 24 projects from emerging filmmakers will be selected for the JETS Initiative.
The JETS Co-Production Initiative organised by WEP Productions & JETS Filmverleih & Vertrieb (Distribution) is funded and supported by Telefilm Canada, nordmedia, NFVF South Africa, HessenFilm & Medien, Screen Ireland,Filminvest Norway.
Conditions of Participation
1. Projects can be submitted by a producer/director team from the following countries: South Africa, Canada, Ireland, Germany, Norway and UK. The producer/director team must be in their first 6 years of their film/TV career.An exception can be granted to the Producer: She/he can have up to 10 years experience in the film business and/or has only produced a maximum of two feature length films.
2. All projects submitted must be fictional films that are still in the development or financing stage. Completed films will be not accepted. All projects must have a duration of 80 minutes or more.
3. Producers/directors wanting to participate in the JETS Initiative must send an email to email@example.com with the heading “JETS 2021 + name of submitting person and country” including supporting materials (see page 3)by the 10th of December 2020.
4. Each producer/director team must ensure to supply save links of previous work i.e. short films, commercials, 1st or 2nd feature film (in case you supply a project that should be considered as your 3rd feature film production).
5. If the script should not be in the English language, the filmmakers must supply a three page treatment in English.
6. The total Co-Production budget for one project may range from € 300,000 to € 3,000,000. The maximum budget for a 1st feature film project should preferably not exceed € 1,000,000.
7. Only projects with complete information can be considered for the preselection process.
Materials to be submitted via email
Must be included:
a. Producer/Director CV’s and contact details (Name, Address, Phone number, email)
b. Any other creative crew members attached
c. Web links to previous work from the Producer and Director
d. Statement if it is 1st, 2nd or 3rd feature film project
e. Advanced Script Draft of story submitted
f. Treatment (3 pages), if script is not written in the English language
g. A detailed Synopsis
h. Cast Propositions / Letter of Intends (if available)
i. A basic production and marketing plan
j. Budget calculation (estimate)
Additional Material if applicable:
k. Financing Plan
l. Any third party partners involved?
m. Any other relevant supporting material
• All materials must be submitted in English. If the original script is not in the English language, a three-page treatment in English must be supplied. All participants must be aware that they have to translate/rewrite their script in the English language, if their project should fall under the four selected ones by the Jury.
• All materials have to be numerical assigned and clearly labelled. If all materials are submitted in one pdf document, please ensure that you include a table of content
1. The 20-24 projects with high potentiality of development and realisation will be selected by WEP Productions.
2. WEP Productions has the right to include projects by invitation.
3. All projects submitted will be treated confidential. Once a project is selected, the filmmakers agree to allow WEP Productions to publicise the participation of their project and its representatives at the JETS event on any platform or media where appropriate.
4. The selected projects will be published on the website www.wepfilms.com in the news section by the 6th of January 2021 and the filmmakers will be contacted by email.
5. Once your project has been selected you must confirm your attendance via email by 14 January 2021 at the latest. If you fail to do so you will not be able to attend the JETS Initiative as they will select a runner up project instead.
6. The materials of the selected 20 – 24 projects will be send out to a participating industry Jury of 10 members who will be able to have an insight of each project before the actual event.
7. Each accepted producer/director team has to make a 5 minutes film project pitch to the jury members and other participating peers on the event day.
8. Each producer/director team will receive a summary of each accepted project for the JETS Initiative. Each team will pre-select three other participating teams as potential Co-Production partners for an exchange talk (15-20 minutes) monitored by one or two jury members on the day.
9. Each producer/director team will receive feedback on their project by the jury members.
10. The 10 Jury members will decide at the end of the day which 6-10 film projects are best to be pursued and considered for possible financing/funding.
I. Participants of the JETS Event must pay for travel, accommodation and if wished for their accreditation with Berlinale or the EFM themselves.
II. A small reimbursement of €150 for each team person will be paid out on the day of attendance.
III. Please be aware that English will be the main language of communication and all participants should have a good to excellent command of the English language.
IV. As part of the JETS 2021 Initiative you are cordially invited to attend the breakfast networking event on Wednesday the 17th of February 2021 where you can continue project discussions with other participating filmmakers.(venue to be announced at later date).