The FilmAid Film Festival celebrates the creative self-expression and ambitious determination of young filmmakers demanding to tell their own stories and represent their own communities. The FilmAid Film Festival (#FAFF2020) is moving online and inviting global audiences to engage with inspiring young filmmakers, journalists and activists. From a refugee camp in Kenya to an informal settlement in Colombia to the high plains of southern Zimbabwe, the filmmakers in this year’s film festival share a vision of a world where their demands for dignity, equity and equality are met by policymakers around the world.
VISIONS OF THE FUTURE WE DESIRE
#FAFF2020 will showcase young filmmakers who offer a vision for our collective future where all people can live dignified lives free from violence, bigotry, inequality and oppression.
In 2020, the world has been forced into seclusion by a pandemic and forced out of corrosive isolation by the global demand for equity and equality for all people.
The 13th Annual FilmAid Film Festival will provide a platform for young and emerging filmmakers around the world to light a path towards solutions and provide a vision for the future all humanity desires, a future filled with hope.
FESTIVAL DATES AND DEADLINES:
Call for Submissions: August 11, 2020
Submission Deadline: September 30, 2020
Festival Dates: November 12th – 24th
Awards Celebration: November 18th
Trivia Night: November 24th
ONLINE SCREENINGS & EVENTS
The full program of Festival films will be available to view online from November 12 – 24th.
FilmAid-hosted discussions with internationally-renowned filmmakers, activists, storytellers, musicians and artists, talking about the role of culture in sparking social change.
Join our global supporters for an online gala celebrating the talented filmmakers featured in #FAFF2020
Power of Film Trivia Night
A night of friendly trivia competition hosted online, featuring surprise guests and participants.
Submission fees are used to support the film festival. If your circumstances make it impossible for you to pay the fee, we’re offering a code that will allow you to submit for free: FAFF2020.
SUBMISSION REGULATIONS FOR FILMAID FILM FESTIVAL (FAFF) 2020
1. The deadline for submissions: September 30, 2020.
2. Applicants MUST be at least 18 years old or have expressed permission to enter this festival from their parents/guardian.
3. Submitted films must be under 8 min in duration.
4. Submitted films must address the Festival’s 2020 theme: Visions of a World We Desire. But the festival welcomes broad interpretations of that theme.
5. Films will be evaluated in relation to the overall festival program, and weight will be given to filmmakers who have direct personal relationships to the subjects, or subject matter, portrayed in their films.
6. Early entry is encouraged but will not guarantee acceptance.
7. Multiple entries are allowed from a filmmaker and each entry may be entered in multiple categories.
8. Year of Production (We only accept films made from 2018 – 2020)
9. Submissions in other than English must be subtitled.
10. All subtitles must be embedded into the film.
11. We accept only secure links to online entries, e.g Youtube or Vimeo. Entries can be submitted directly through FilmFreeway.
12. Films MUST be sent in the form of links from 3rd party servers such as Vimeo, YouTube or other secure websites. We do not accept download data or Dropbox submissions. Please provide a password if protected.
13. Entrants agree that any still image from the film submitted may be used for promotional purposes. Entrants may choose the still image that is used for promotional purposes by attaching it to the application.
14. The FAFF judges reserve the right to exclude from the festival any short films that encourage violence or bigotry (this does not mean that the films cannot contain violence).
15. Submitted films will be entered into those categories chosen by the entrant.
16. The winners and runners-up will be announced at the award ceremony.
17. A panel of judges will identify winning films. The judges’ decision is final.
18. After judging is completed, only nominees in each category will be notified.
19. FAFF does not charge submission fees or pay screening fees.
20. If the film includes synchronized music it MUST be accompanied by evidence of worldwide copyright clearance within the term that includes at least 28th September 2020, preferably in perpetuity.
21. If the film includes original music, the Entrants MUST include a copy of the agreement in their application.
22. FAFF reserves the right to film Behind The Scenes footage from the festival and use the footage as promotional material.