Submissions are open each month, January to December, for Breakout Film Festival’s monthly international short film contest. Notification of selection will be sent on the 15th of the following month.
Winning short films from each month will be officially selected to Breakout Film Festival 2021. The live screening event will be held in January in Edinburgh, Scotland. The overall winner – chosen by an esteemed jury – will be awarded $500 plus a coveted trophy. The inaugural Breakout Film Festival was held on 15 June 2019 in Edinburgh. Answer directed by Adam Palmer was selected as the inaugural Best Short Film winner.
- Films must be between 1-40 minutes in length (including credits).
- All narrative genres accepted. Music videos and documentaries are not valid for this contest.
- Filmmakers must have copyright over all footage and soundtrack.
- Films must be of high-quality.
- Filmmakers must submit promotional stills for marketing purposes.
- Open to all nationalities and ages.
- Open to first-time to semi-professional filmmakers.
- Films already submitted to and/or selected by other film festivals are accepted
- All films must be produced after January 1, 2015.
- Breakout Film Festival is unable to give feedback on individual short films upon result notification.
- Films in a foreign language (other than English) must include subtitles.